Ideal surf vehicle???

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Here is todays car stuff;Iamvwman: I got a buddy selling a VW Vanagon panel van. Has just the bench seat in the back that also folds down into a bed. Loads of room for gear and sleeping. 4 cylinder, not too bad on gas........He's bringing it over from Vancouver on Friday if interested. - May 03 9:10PM95-Pathfinder: Is the best Nitinat vehicle. Hands down!
Kus: what's wrong w/ a roof box? Anyway, this should probably be in the surf vehicle thread - May 03 8:37PM
Globe: thanks for the responses guys, I've been rethinking this a bit, and I think i'd like to stick to something like a small truck, as my previous car smelled less than pleasent in the back when my wet kite gear was left in over night etc. So probably a small truck or if I can't find something relatively affordable, then I'll just go with another small cheap car unfortunately as I'll probably destroy the inside of any nice vehicle that has to have my kite gear in it. - May 03 8:08PM
Ksd: My 91 subaru legacy wagon is awsome on the nitinaht road! AWD and 4cyl is reasonable on gas - May 03 7:54PM
Windsurfish: Anyone going to Nitinaht tomorrow??? - May 03 7:29PM
Mattd0G: I had a 2wd Nissan pickup that surprisingly to me suffered a big thrashing on that road. The answer may be simply to slow down. My Toyota Matrix seemed to weather it fine. If you do go to Nimpkish Lake, it's paved all the way ... See www.japanoid.com for some neat vans - May 03 6:28PM
Best Nitnat Vehicle: would be a small, light front wheel or all wheel drive. nobody ever got over that road faster than adam in his honda civic... - May 03 5:15PM
Pete: Globe - I have a 94 4WD toyota pickup with canopy and roof racks for sale that loves Nitinat. Email me at if yer interested! - May 03 5:07PM
Johnny: Hey Globe,A buddy has a 1998 Astro Van 120,000.km for sale Quite reasonable,truck suspension.Great for sleeping and gear storage.Needs no work. - May 03 4:27PM
Bobson: I'm not so sure about the smart car on the road to Nitinat...I might pick the Jeep....maybe only small V6 though. - May 03 4:03PM
Mattd0G: That's the beauty of kiting, you only need the space in a Smart car to cart yourself, your kiting gear and your camping gear. Since gas prices are going higher (according to our federal finance minister) I would go for fuel economy myself ... (Jeep - 18 mpg, Smart Car 80 mpg) That means many more affordable outings .. - May 03 3:59PM
Richard: hey globe, I have 1993 Grand Cherokee for sale, good kite machine. email me if you want more info: - May 03 2:28PM http://www.japanoid.com/img/japanoid_sc ... keicar.jpg

Globe: anyone have any light trucks or other kiting friendly vehicles for sale? - May 03
Thermals are good.
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

Hey Iamvwman, send me an email,
I may be interested, thanks
eyeDuck

Post by eyeDuck »

HI,

If your interested I need to sell My VW Westfalia 1989, It has been Nitnath proof and many recent work to keep in shape ( heads, water pump pipe muffler battery propane thank....)

Got a third child and need to buy a trailer!!

I must sell it soon and open to offers.
bricktop

Nitnat vehicle

Post by bricktop »

We have been using an Astro cargo van for a few years, recently upgraded to the passenger model (built like a tank). Pull out the seats, throw in a futon, add a roof coffin and you have a very nice ride. The astro van has been cheap to maintain, air filter is $4.99, compair that to an import.
The mileage sucks (22mpg on a good day). We will be making fewer trips to the nat this year, but staying longer when we do go.

Good luck

Gerry
Moment In Time Photos

Selling Dream Motor HOme

Post by Moment In Time Photos »

Email me If you would like to see some Pictures of it !!!

Pleasure-Way Excel TS This fully functional self contained Class B Motorhome Built on the Ford WideBody Chassi. One owner No-Smoker No-Pets. Equipt with a Triton V-8 @ (14-16mpg) with Over Drive, Cruise, Power Windows ,Mirrors and Locks. Pleasure-Way Ford features a WideBody allowing for a private enclosed Bath The TS floor plan means rear power sofa, easily convert into a King Bed.. Rear entertainment system with a 13" TV/Vcr with rear speakers and additional lighting. The Galley/Kitchen area is completed with a Built in the counter S/S sink, 2 burner stainless LP stove & Microwave oven, 3 way fridge, coffee maker, with lots of cabinet space, auto ignite Hot water heater and LP Furnace. Also build in A/C. The Bathroom is fully completed with a private tolet and enclosed shower with vanity and sink. Also has a build in auxiliary shower in side of van, and a 12 ft easy to use awning. This Van also has the towing package, ready to tow car or trailer.[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]
wreckless rick

Ideal surf vehicle

Post by wreckless rick »

Its not always the vehicle. To me its the racks that make a vehicle. Racks with good volume, firm, yet flexible are a thing of beauty. Proportion as well as volume are design features which enhance a good set of racks. I prefer T - 6061 aluminum ( aircraft alloy) 1" .125 wall square tubing for racks. This fills the bill for being firm yet yet flexible. My truck is sprung very firm, so to ensure the welds survive the beating they take on the Nitinat road, I use the Tig welding process (Tungsten Inert Gas). Tigging gives better control of base metal penetration. I use a Hossfeld bender, which I made a die for out of cast aluminum, to make gentle curves in the tubing which enhances the overall beauty.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hey, check these links, some great ideas and homemade canopies for small trucks etc. http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.j ... egoryID=69 8)

sorry about URL length, not sure how to maintain the view margins :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Consider the average price of gas over the time period you are going to own the vehicle. Say you own it four years, and gas is now $1.20/litre. Guesstimate it will average $1.50/litre over 4 years, then think about how much you can afford for fuel, and how efficient the vehicle should be. The days of cheap oil are over so plan ahead for price increases.

- The Energy Guy - :)
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
maxpowers

Post by maxpowers »

mitsubishi delica... hands down the baddest of the vans, had mine for a month now fckin rocks, you seroiusly don't even notice the right hand drive, even my mom loves to drive it around,
2.8L turbo diesil 4wheel high low, shift on the fly locking rear diff, the thing is unstoppable, oh yah and it comes with a sick moon roof,
and altimeter and tiltometer, (i dunno why yah need them, you just do.)
AND huge fricken bush Bars. perfect for pushin dead westy's into the ditch (just kidding) :shock:
3 times the attitude 10 times the cool factor. and half the price of the westfalia.
only downside is you feel sorta bad for the westfalia dudes/dudettes out there when you drive buy em. :D

oh and they rip prtty good considering they are a van.
do it, pretty much there is no choice.
talk to dave @ japanoid he knows his sht, good guy.
cheers
jeff :)
parasurfing
JL

Post by JL »

Nice input Max dude. I must admit those are groovy vans with all the bars etc..Image http://www.japanoid.com/cardata.php?carNo=30
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The delica was my choice too until I found out that nobody in Japan can drive a standard :roll: the auto tranny in those things suck hard, to me the single biggest drawback and reason why I don't have one :?
Wish less, sail more!!

maxpowers

Post by maxpowers »

actually the auto tranny is pretty rad. its a little complex for the average garage. but they have no evil history.
my buddy matt has a five speed same same but different.
there is one coming in in october (japanoid). it was actually supposed to be for me but i was stoked on the auto after drivin one.
they are rare but do exist. good luck with whatever you choose. :D

i guess left hand shifting isn't for me, while tryin to drink my morning coffee
parasurfing
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

jeeez, yeah, never even thought of THAT, left handed :?: :roll: Hey JL, more stuff on the Atacama:
http://de.cars.yahoo.com/22092006/348/w ... trieb.html

Apparently they won't yet comment on the price, ha :?
Wish less, sail more!!

downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

:twisted: somebody photoshop some boards on this thing:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/13/smar ... good-time/