Beginner In need of advice

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Davebob

Beginner In need of advice

Post by Davebob »

I'm looking at getting into the sport and need advice on what i need. Have no prior experience except sailing small boats etc..if you guys could hook me up lemmie know. I would prefer to get used at first in case i beat that up then buy new later. Or if there is enough stuff on the site to put together that would be great too. Oh yeah i'm 6'3 220lbs if that helps. And live right on the ocean(25ft) to practice @ pedder bay

Thanks alot guys
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

The Starboard Start is probably your board. It's big and wide to make it easy and early planing. Buy the best used you can and sell it when you are ready to move to smaller, windier boards. Get a non-cambered sail around 6.5 meters to start. You're big, so you'll want a bigger one later (8m or more). Buy a compatable carbon mast. Aluminum booms will do. Try to buy decent rig components as you will keep them. A fin in the 18 inch range or bigger. Buy a good wetsuit (5mm), booties, and a life jacket. That should get you going.
I think everyone is too busy running around to be typing a lot right now, but you'll find help as to Van Isle sailing locations.
Wear a life jacket, only sail in onshore locations, be safe, have fun.
FUN
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

try this thread for a start
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2259

dont be shy about posting questions. there might be longboard nights going on at caddy bay where you can network a bit?

also check usedvictoria.com from time to time for stuff. best o luck
Davebob

Post by Davebob »

right on :lol:
anyone have a start or go board they want to get rid of????:)
i know this is probally a bad time to start(summer and all) but what the hey