Tahsis

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Jon&Michelle

Tahsis

Post by Jon&Michelle »

Does anyone have any experience sailing at Tahsis? Apparently there is someone that sails there. Any info appreciated. Tahsis inlet is georgous!
Barb W

HI

Post by Barb W »

Hi Jon and Michelle, how are you!
:D
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

kitesurferdale checked it out a couple years back, theres a thread about it somewhere in here.
windwoman

Sailing in Tahsis Inlet

Post by windwoman »

Hi Jon and Michelle. I spent four years living on Tahsis Inlet and have dingy sailed there ..... this was before I discovered windsurfing.... The wind in the inlet is fairly predictable during the summer months with strong thermals in the afternoon. I remember it being fairly gusty where I sailed at the head of the inlet. There would be lots of options futher down and into Esperanza Inlet which you can access through ' The Cut' but you would need a boat. The Uchuck visits all the areas weekly if not more (it's a supply vessel for the logging communities, Tahsis, Gold R., Zeballos etc). I'd highly recommend a trip on it to scout out the area. I remember having to stand on a log boom once with three small children to catch it to Kyuquot ...... hopefully you wouldn't have to do that.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Yes I have kiteboarded Tahsis. It was late summer and good weather. Launch was sketchy to say the least, between a pier and a boat house on an extended and raised pier. Lots of obstacles to get out onto the open water. Once out, I experienced it as quite gusty, but this was in the late summer. In talking with the locals they say that the winds tend to be fairly steady late spring and summer. Beautiful area to say the least, cool spot to sail, if you break down you wash up at the head of the bay, unless of course there is a heavy tide pulling you out, but that is just educating yourself to the area. As for windsurfing, I think it would be alright, aside from some gustyness, you could slog your way out from the boatlaunch and get into the main channel fairly easy I would think. When I kiteboarded there a townslady wanted to take all sorts of photos to promote the town, I accepted as long as they mentioned the I was flying Ocean Rodeo in their write up, they said no so I declined to them using the photos. So who knows, maybe you could get some sort of props windsurfing or kiting there.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Jon&Michelle

Post by Jon&Michelle »

kitesurferdale you must be the person I was told about. Thanks for the information. Perhaps taking a boat further up the inlet would be a good option. I do believe an early summer trip will be in order. It would be great to find a less crowded summer sailing option. I will post the results unless it is really spectacular then I will keep it under my hat.
windwoman

Post by windwoman »

Ever since the three sawmills that generated the town's economy shut down the people of Tahsis have been desperately brainstorming ideas to bolster up this once busy, economic rich community. With the absence of any new industry the population has fallen from 1200 to about 300. The school which ran classes from K-12 is now down to three teachers who basically assist the remaining students with distance education. So ...... I can not understand why any one would not be eager to promote new activities such as kiteboarding and windsurfing.
The head of the inlet used to be the site of a deep sea port and the three sawmills. Freighter after freighter would haul whole logs out of this port . In the early 90's the availability dried up and the town quickily started to die like so many others along the coast that relied on one industry.
Michelle (in your email), you mentioned the possibility of buying a home in Tahsis which you could probably still get at a pretty good price. At first, the town was full of empty homes that people basically walked away from and then gradually real estate was picked up for next to nothing by seasonal fishermen and others who discovered the magic of Nootka Sound. Currently housing prices have really taken a turn upward. My friend still lives next to the marina and has been active in trying to promote the town so if you want any more info. let me know .
I still think Esperanza Inlet just north of Tahsis Inlet would provide steadier more reliable winds. Nootka Island separates the two and provides access to Esperanza on it's east side through the waterway known locally as ' The Cut' as I mentioned before. Tahsis Inlet gets narrower further down and then widens again where Muchalat Inlet connects (from Gold River). This area is filled with the small islands of the Spanish Pilot Group so still not easily sailable. By then you are almost at the open ocean and the historic Friendly Cove. This part of the West Coast is the place to go if you want eco-challenges. There are endless nooks and cranies to explore along the coast. Fabulous for kayaking. We've found some places where you can paddle through waterfalls and into sea caves. Generally this entire area is better suited to kayakers.
Landing and launching areas are hard to come by along the inlets especially for kites. Windsurfers and kiters would need a boat to get to all these areas.